In a previous post, I listed the sensors that can currently monitor with my OpenRemote system. This post lists the devices I can currently control. They are:
- Three LightwaveRF plug-in sockets, which I can switch on and off
- 4 LightwaveRF light switches, which I can switch on and off and set the dimmer level.
- 3 EDF IAMs which I can switch on and off
- The music computer, on which I can start a playlist and set the volume level
- An IP camera, which I an pan up and down, and left and right
- An LG LCD TV, which I can switch on and off
- An LG AV Receiver, which I can switch on an off and turn the volume up and down
- A Virgin TiVO box, which I have full control over
- A Roomba robot, which I can move around and work the arm and the grabber
There is a bit of problem with my Spotify playlists, after they changed their API, which I will write a post on soon.
I am currently using the three LightwaveRF sockets to control a fan, the IP camera, and a Kodak photo frame.
I am using the EDF IAMs to monitor my media centre and router electricity use, and to tell me when the washing machine and dryer stop and start. This needs more automation.
There is so much more to control: the blinds, the heating, the outside lights and water feature, more computers, more TVs, more sockets and lights, the coffee machine, the robot fetching beer.
One of the next things I am going to work on is alerts. How should I inform myself when the washing machine or dryer or dishwasher finishes? Or when there is someone at the door or a letter or parcel arrives through the letter box, or the smoke or carbon monoxide alarm goes off? Or when an intruder is detected?
I think the first thing I will do is implement speech synthesis on the music computer, but this won’t be very easy to hear when music is playing. Sometimes sending a text or an email may be most appropriate. Other things I could do include: flashing the lights on and off, or setting off the smoke/house/car alarm.